
(EL) I was teaching kids at a private elementary school at the time. I was in the middle of a lesson (probably Math), when the owner of the school came and knocked on my door. "Did you hear what happened?"
"No. What?"
"Two planes flew into the World Trade Center Towers. Another one flew into the Pentagon."
"..." (mouth open)
"Don't be surprised if parents start coming to get their kids."
Sure enough, no more than 15 minutes later, several parents came to the school to pick up their children. It was a surreal moment. I don't think I realized what was happening. I just thought it was an accident. All I wanted to do was finish the day of teaching. One of the lessons called for me to use a television. So I took the TV that the secretaries were using to watch the news, and popped in the Science video. Thinking back, I now realize why they had a sort of disgruntled look on their faces. The full impact of the news didn't even hit me until later on that day when I could tune into CNN. I got home and saw the images, and heard the speculations. Some friends were getting together because they were sad, and just didn't want to be alone, but I chose to stay home with mom. Seems like so long ago, doesn't it? What a different world we lived in back then. Or maybe it was just the illusion of a different world. It was probably both.
(AL) I was getting ready for my UT education class when one of my roommates came into my room. We watched TV for the next 30 minutes. I tried to call my friend, Peggy, since she was living in NY. Of course, no answer. Called my parents. Went to class (can you believe it wasn't cancelled?) and sat with the professor & the few students who showed up. We talked about it. It's one of those rare moments where you learn something about yourself. I learned that I didn't know how to comfort those who were hurting around me. My education friend sat right next to me crying because she used to live in NY. My biggest regret is that I didn't even put my arm around her or ask her if I could pray with her. I just sat there with my hands in my lap doing nothing. =( Where were you during 9/11?
1 comment:
none of my classes were cancelled either. in fact, the next class i went to, the teacher said, "we're just having class as if nothing happened", so we weren't allowed to talk about it. we just went through the lecture as usual. sad. :(
nice apartment! :)
Post a Comment