Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Odds and Ends

New Students: Today our school welcomed two new students from Korea. They don't speak any English. The girl (a 2nd grader) and boy (a 5th grader) really warmed my heart. Really sweet kids trying their hardest to try to fit in already. And their names you ask? They are Harry and Sally. It's awesome being an ESOL teacher! I also learned that my district serves over 70 different languages and the most popular ones are Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Urdu, and Arabic. It stinks being monolingual.

Volkswagon: My engine light turned on 2 weeks ago. I took it to the VW place and had them take a look at it. Got terrible service. So this past Monday my great husband came with me to the service place. We both dressed up (like we were going to a wedding) and received excellent service. Now the big question: is it b/c I'm a girl? or was it b/c I still look like I'm under 21? or was it b/c of how we dressed?

Goodbye Ed: I'll be 5 days apart from my new husband next week as he leaves for a trip. It's going to be a challenge for me as I help with youth group without him and wander around H-town without him giving me my mapquest driving tutorials.

Good Credit: My #1 brother-in-law talked to us for about 2 1/2 hours telling us about good credit, buying a house, and loans. It was really interesting. Some points of our conversation:

You shouldn't have people pull your credit history more than once a month because then it flags something in your system and you lose points (for good credit)

Consolidate your credit cards

Having really large credit limits on your credit cards hurt your credit history too because to the people above us...it means that you could potentially take high risks and charge large amounts on the credit cards that you would be able to pay off

buying a house and closing takes about 30 days to process so start looking early

24 & Heroes: The latest tv series that we've been hooked on. After our honeymoon, we watched all the 24 seasons (thanks to Jerry's DVD collection). We caught up with the Heroes episodes by going online. Now we can kick back and enjoy. AND I found out that if I leave school at a certain time...I can get home to watch A-Team reruns!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Too bad Heroes and 24 are running against each other now. But at least Heroes has their episodes online as well. Not sure about 24. Also, it's funny that Ed is your guide around Houston considering his sense of direction. =P Hope you guys are doing well.